The CDC authorization to reopen all schools will mean that the back-to-school season will be a very busy time for all retailers. Kids were learning virtually during the pandemic year and now they have to prepare to go back and learn intensively. Maybe even repeat some courses which they slept through.
Retailers are aware of the oncoming onslaught of shoppers. There are also some tax-free shopping days in several states that are listed below. It will be a busy time for retailers. Below are some of the most important events.
1. Target. There will be hot deals for the back-to-school season with 80% of the back-to-school collection under $10. Teachers will receive a one-time 15% discount off select classroom supplies and essentials form July 18 to July 31. In addition, college students will receive 15% off for every household essential between August 15 to August 21.
2. JCPenney. The company will introduce on July 15 the new Thereabouts private brand on-trend private apparel for kids. The collection includes uniforms, sleepwear, outerwear and shoes. The collection is designed with every kid in mind. In addition, from July 15 to August 12, JCPenney will donate $1 for every Thereabouts item sold in stores or online, up to $100,000, to Communities in School to fund programming that empowers students to stay in school. It will also be on JCPenney.com.
3. Walmart. Walmart has a new collection of apparel by acquiring the Justice brand. There will be trend inspired design apparel. Justice, which has a strong tween following, will also feature jewelry, accessories, backpacks and stationery. It will be in 2400 Walmart stores and on Walmart.com.
4. Kohl’s will permit educators and school staff to shop with a 20% in-store discount during the weekend of July 16 to 18. In addition, these shoppers will receive $ 10 of Kohl’s cash for every $50 spent in the store.
5. Apple launched its seasonal back to school sale by offering students free Air Pods alongside purchases of select Macs and iPad models. During checkout, customers can upgrade to wireless for $40 or the Air Pods Pro for $90.
Annually several states have tax free shopping days prior to school reopening day. It is primarily for clothing and footwear and there are some restrictions in every state. Here are the states and dates as collected by the Federation of Tax Administrators.
Tax Free Shopping Dates
State # of days 2021 Dates
Alabama 3 July 16 – 18
Arkansas 2 August 7 – 8
Connecticut 2 August 7 – 8
Florida 10 July 31 – August 9
Iowa 2 August 6 – 7
Maryland 7 August 8 – 14
Massachusetts 2 August 14 -15
Mississippi 2 July 20 -31
Missouri 3 August 6 – 8
New Mexico 3 August 6 – 8
Ohio 3 August 6 – 8
Oklahoma 3 August 6 – 8
South Carolina 3 August 6 – 8
Tennessee 7 July 30 – August 5
Texas 3 August 6 – 8
Virginia 3 August 6 – 8
West Virginia 4 July 30 – August 2